Drupal is one of the most successful content management systems. Its success can be related to the customizability it has to offer. If you decided to move to Drupal, then congratulations, you have made the right choice.
However, the first thing that you need to take care about is Drupal migrations. Drupal migrations come into the picture when you decide to either change your CMS to Drupal or upgrade from the old versions to the latest Drupal one. However, the complexities come when the old website is not using Drupal. So, let’s get started.
Overview of Drupal 8 migrations
Drupal provides the core Migrate module for migration. The Migrate modules come with APIs which makes it easy for developers to handle the migration. To get a better understanding, let’s list the core Migrate modules that are available.
- Migrate: This the core Module that offers the APIs for importing data. It can be used to import data from any source to Drupal 8.
- Migrate Drupal: The Migrate Drupal module is aimed towards the older Drupal versions. It can be used to import data from older Drupal 6 and 7 to Drupal 8.
- Migrate Drupal UI: if you are interested in migrating user interface, you can do it with the help of Migrate Drupal UI. However, it is only for migration from older Drupal version.
- Migrate Drupal Multilingual: With this module, users can migrate whenever there is multilingual data.
Upgrading from older Drupal version
If you are looking for migrating your old Drupal version to the latest Drupal 8, then you are in luck. Drupal offers great Migrate modules that take care of the different aspects of the website, including, data, multilingual and the UI itself. To ensure that you do migrate successfully, you need to make sure that you understand how the system works and can put the pieces together when doing it. The best approach is to do proper planning and preparation before you start with the migration process. This includes source data analysis, building a new website, doing tests, and have the option to rollback if something goes wrong. Repeat the process until the migration is done successfully.
Structure of migration
The Drupal 8 migrations is divided among three parts. They are as follows:
A pipeline is formed using these three parts where each part plays a major role. It starts with the source plugin where raw data is generated per individual row. Now, the data is passed through the processing plugin. During the transfer, the data are manipulated accordingly. Lastly, the data is saved with the help of the Destination plugin.
Tutorials to help you
Drupal 8 Migration is complex and we recommend you to read through the following list of tutorials and guides.
- First Drupal 8 Migration – Sitepoint
- Drupal 8 Migration- Tips and Tricks
- Drupal 8 Migration – Drupalize