Redefining HCP Engagement: A Case Study in Transformative CX for Life Sciences
A CDP Success Case Study
Our client, a prominent pharmaceutical manufacturer, recognized the need to streamline their marketing technology ecosystem and partnered with us to address the challenges of decentralized customer data management and engagement. We leveraged our experience and guiding principles to deploy a Customer Data Platform (CDP) and successfully transformed our client's ability to engage HCPs, enable personalization, and deliver next-best actions. Our CDP solution enabled our client to create accurate and comprehensive profiles of HCPs, break down silos within commercial teams, and efficiently centralize consent management across platforms.
In the dynamic landscape of pharmaceutical customer engagement, the importance of delivering personalized and trust-based interactions has never been greater. The relationship between HCPs and brands is evolving rapidly, and pharmaceutical companies seek innovative ways to enhance their commercialization strategies. Within this context, our client, a prominent pharmaceutical manufacturer, partnered with us to strengthen their marketing technology ecosystem. They recognized the need for a transformative solution to effectively navigate the complexities of customer data management and customer engagement. This case study illustrates how we leveraged our experience and guiding principles, and deployed a CDP to help our client achieve their most important business outcomes.
To better understand the importance of CDPs in today's pharmaceutical commercial function, it is necessary to look at the evolution of customer data management.
Initially, organizations used "data warehouses" to manage highly structured data. These warehouses required meticulous governance processes, data cleansing, and manipulation to extract actionable insights. Then, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems adopted data warehousing principles to store and manage customer activity data. However, with the proliferation of new customer engagement channels, CRM systems were no longer the single platform tracking customer engagement.
The emergence of CDPs represents a new era in HCP customer data management, with the ability to continuously ingest data from various channels and provide data to other engagement and personalization platforms. Today's CDPs have ready-to-use connections libraries, store "curated" data, and offer clean, relevant, and longitudinal customer engagement and event data with appropriate timing and depth to enable actionable insights. This new level of technology is purpose-built to enhance data-driven CX for their HCPs.
Our client recognized the need for differentiation with customers to drive growth. The strategic solution we recommended was to provide superior experiences and value to their customers by leveraging a CDP as part of their marketing technology ecosystem. However, to be successful, we had to overcome several formidable challenges:
- Decentralized Customer Engagement Data
- Inefficient Collaboration within the Commercial Function
- Decentralized Consent Management
- Sub-optimal CX
These challenges were solved by vastly improving their underlying HCP customer data. This led to a single source for complete and accurate HCP profiles to drive enhanced CX.
Recognizing the challenges faced by our client, we led a CX optimization engagement that included implementing a CDP. This engagement was guided by our deep customer data management experience and "design thinking" principles. These principles are the core of our methodology, enabling us to navigate the transition from the 'Art of the Possible' to the 'Art of the Needed.'
More specifically these principles are:
- Balancing Needs and Achievability: A central pillar of our strategy is striking a harmonious balance between what is required and what is realistically attainable.
- Pragmatic Data Inclusion: The idea that every element of data we integrated into the CDP served a well-defined purpose closely aligned with our customer-centric vision.
- Prioritizing Data Relevance Over Data Volume: Selecting data sources that hold the greatest applicability to HCP engagement and that our data has demonstrable predictive value.
Our successful CDP implementation transformed our client's ability to engage HCPs, enable personalization, and deliver the next-best actions. Business impact was enabled by:
- Unified HCP Profiles: The CDP enabled our client to create accurate and comprehensive profiles of HCPs by seamlessly integrating diverse behavior data from various channels.
- Enhanced Collaboration: Silos within commercial teams were broken down as the CDP provided a centralized and verified hub for all customer data.
- Streamlined Consent Management: The CDP efficiently centralized consent management across platforms, ensuring accurate consent data for audience segmentation and personalization.
- Next Generation CX: With a single repository for all HCP engagement data, our client was no longer hindered by data fragmentation; insights from prior engagements were able to inform next best actions.
A well-designed and implemented CDP solution can transform customer experience and engagement, as evidenced by our client's success. We helped to achieve this by establishing and adhering to our guiding principles of balancing needs and achievability, emphasizing pragmatic data inclusion, and prioritizing data relevance over volume.